Monday, October 16, 2017

Week Twelve






 Hola buenos dias everyone! Guess who was just made a Spanish speaking Elder?!!!

Not me, but I bet someone in the world was. It’s been a great week in the field though. I’d say it was one of those weeks that kinda flew by. We just piled a bunch of stuff on our plate and got to work. We taught a buuuunch of lessons this week too. So that was good. Nothing too special happened this week, but I'll tell more about our investigator K.

K feels the spirit the best outdoors so we always go to the best locations ever to teach. This week he took us up the mountains and we were able to just overlook the ocean and all of the islands while teaching. It's cool to go to little places like that. It makes me more grateful I serve in Rockland. He takes the gospel in slowly so we just talk about life with him while hitting gospel points at the same time. It's the most interesting teaching I've done so far.

I guess Rockland has a huuuuuge problem with drugs, and I didn't really pay attention to that until this week. Since we try and talk to everyone we know I've been learning more and more about that side of the community. It's weird out here. You're either above 60 years old, or you're a lobsterman or something. It's funny. All the old people complain about the young people, and all the young people just want to leave Rockland. Most of them just want to find a better place to live. I guess they think that there is a system the police uses to get people stuck in jail for life. Idk why but they all talk about it here. Like they developed their own theories on why they can't leave. You definitely meet some interesting people on your mission though.

Once again the branch is amazing out here! It got to a point about 2 weeks ago that I thought the branch was angry about how many rides we asked them to give. (a lot of our investigators don't drive so we have to have them picked up for everything) Since C got baptized though everything has changed. They got to finally see the tree bear fruit or however you want to say it  This past week at Branch council it was popping. Everyone wanted to help us and it was great. All of the investigators we brought to church were fellowshipped like mad. It was awesome seeing the branch come together and put in their part. It makes me happy that once I leave Rockland, the investigators won't be forgotten about. One of our investigators liked church so much he wants to come back on Wednesday for mutual, and he's taking off a rowing competition on Sunday to come to church again. It's the small things like that, that make me the happiest out here in the field. (and hand written letters) lol.

Btw Zone p day was a blast. We went up to Bangor (which btw is an awesome city) to do it. We emailed there and that’s why it ended so abruptly. I also went to Walmart with Elder Sabitsky real quick so he could grab something, and the lady I anointed for a blessing was there. She ran up to me and called me her angel in her Ukrainian accent. It was awesome. Then she bought me a ton of treats. Then we went back to the church, and had lunch and finished off emailing. After emailing we went and started carving pumpkins. We were all dressed up in our costumes. I was a cowboy with Elder Petersen. My pumpkin was terrible but it was fun to carve. Then we went and played some chair soccer. That is sooooo much fun. Like I wish I had known about it before I left on my mission. It's crazy. Then we went to Chickfila. It's one of 2 in the mission, so it was a blessing to have a good chicken sandwich again. I’m excited for the next zone p day, even though they happen only once a transfer. I think we are going to do a Thanksgiving one. So stay tuned for that.

I'm finally getting better at loving the people I teach though so that's a plus. I've got a feeling I’ll have to go through this process every time I'm put into a new area though. I think it will be good for me though. I can barely say I love you to anyone. Like I struggle saying it to my family. Lol my poor wife someday. So it's good I get to practice loving random people out here in the middle of New England.

I've been thinking a lot about my other friends on missions recently and as I was laying in bed last night I just couldn't help but smile. It's crazy if you think about it. I've got friends all over the world right now sharing the gospel. I had a similar experience to Mitch this past week. His was about sitting on the side of the curb in Ecuador feeling the spirit. Mine was just sitting on the ledge of a deck in a trailer park. It's just amazing to see how the Lord has prepared us, and the people we are teaching. Like 6 months ago I couldn't see myself ever standing in a trailer park talking to people about Jesus. It sounds kinda funny but it really is true. I'm grateful that I have been able to learn how to open my mouth out here. Sometimes it's scary when you see a huge lobsterman and you don't know what to say. Just trust that the Lord will guide you with the right words to say. You can change lives quicker than you can even imagine, and it all starts with a simple hello.

So there's my inspirational quote of the week.  Anyways it’s been a good week out here in Rockland. We set 2 more baptismal dates with our investigators. They are both 17 and we will need permission from President Blair and their parents to baptize them. So everyone I need you to gather round and send prayers to Rockland. They'll be needed. I think that they will be fine though. President Blair just doesn't like baptizing people into activity so it makes sense. If we want to get a temple in ten we're gonna need all the active members we can get. Btw you heard it here first Bangor or Augusta temple in 2026. So that's gonna be awesome. You already know I'm calling up C the second it gets announced and flying out to Maine to use it. It's exciting to think how much more mission I have left too. I've had so many great experiences and I'm not even a quarter of a way through!

So there’s the positive thoughts coming from Rockland everyone. I hope you all have a great week, and enjoy your October. It's the second best month of the year after all. Oh yeah that reminds me. I was finally able to bust out my flannel. So yeah #blessed. 


Zone Activity




Visited Breakwater for pday today




Random pictures from the week










 (Momma C sent a package with deluxe toilet paper)



Selfies of the week:





No comments:

Post a Comment